Epoisses de Bourgogne AOP
Out of stock
Epoisses is the gem of Burgundy, a region famed for its fantastic wines and brilliant cuisine. The Epoisses was first made by the monks of the Cîteaux Abbey, who later shared the technique with the local farmers. After a decline in the early 20th century, it became popular again in the 1950s and has been greatly enjoyed and sought-after ever since.
This farmhouse cheese made from raw milk is washed with “marc de Bourgogne”, a pomace brandy, which gives it a strong, pungent aroma. Being aged for at least 6 weeks, its rind takes on a deep orange colour and becomes stickier, while the cheese reveals a rich ivory paste.
Although it is known as a strong cheese, its flavours are surprisingly smooth and delicate. The rich spring milk gives the Epoisses a wonderful creamy texture, which you can enjoy by eating it out of its box with a spoon!
- Remove all of the packaging from the Epoisses.
- Place the whole cheese into an ovenproof dish about the same size as the Epoisses.
- Place the ovenproof dish on to a baking tray and place in the middle of the preheated oven.
- Bake the cheese for 15 minutes at 350F, or until you can see it bubbling around the side of the dish.
- Allow the cheese to sit for a couple of minutes before serving as it will be extremely hot.
- Enjoy with bread, crackers, fresh fruit or vegetables and a glass of wine.