Baby Artichokes Poivrade Bunch
Photo for representation purposes only.
Baby artichokes poivrade in bunches of 3 pcs, from France.
Baby artichokes are usually in season for about six weeks during spring. They are quite tender and with just a little trimming, the entire asparagus is edible, unlike the globe artichoke. It’s a smaller but fully mature version of the traditional artichoke, with its small size due to being picked from the lower part of the plant.
Baby artichokes are easy to prepare, cook and eat because they don’t have the fuzzy portion of the choke in the center. They are crisp, have a nutty flavor and can be eaten raw, boiled, fried, sauteed or roasted. They are great eaten raw with olive oil, shaved pecorino, salt, pepper and parsley.
Some healthful attributes of artichokes:
- An incredible liver tonic, high in the antioxidant flavonoid silymarin, which is especially protective of the liver
- Tasty and super high in fiber, similar to asparagus
- High in folate, Vitamins C and K
- A highly antioxidant food, with its high ORAC score (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity).
Artichokes are great with:
- Garlic and lemon
- Garlic, lemon, olive oil and parsley or other herbs like mint, parsley, tarragon & lemon
- Fennel & potatoes
- Arugula, capers, lemon, olive oil & parmesan cheese